Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 93


I’m off work today with suspected malaria – suspected as I have no medical confirmation and the test I took was negative but I’m treating it as now I’m on the fourth time, I’m pretty sure that when I feel like I have malaria, then I have malaria!

So my pictures, not very exciting, are of my medical test and drugs I’m now taking – malaria treatment drugs, blood tonic which is thick dark brown syrup with orange, honey and malt flavourings, some paracetamol and some vitamin C.

I went to get the Lonart from the chemical shop, which came to Ghc5. I then asked for paracetamol, which was another Ghc0.40. I gave over Ghc7, and he gave me back the Ghc2, saying the paracetamol was for me. I found Ghc0.40, which he refused, while giving me some vitamin C as a “dash” too – can you imagine that happening in the UK.

Being ill is never nice, and being ill in a hot country, especially if you have a temperature, is not nice at all. However, the pleasant 30 degrees or less we’ve been experiencing these last few weeks is, in my opinion, a much nicer climate than the minus temperatures that I’m sure you’re having at home just now.

The other thing about being ill in Ghana is it brings home how important your “Ghana family” are. When you don’t have your parents telling you to go to the doctor, you can think “I’m ok” when really you’re not. Thankfully, the vols in Bolga are good at looking after each other; a kind friend made me go and get tested and is making sure I’m drinking enough water and eating regularly. Colleagues have done the same in the past too.

And just as I sign off – please don’t worry about me! I know malaria isn’t good, and it gets a bad press at home (understandably), but I’m healthy, in my 20s, and taking the recommended treatment and will be fine in a few days with some rest, drugs and chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment