Monday, January 18, 2010

A pious weekend

Having somewhat neglected church going activities since arriving in Bolga for various reasons, I thought I should make up for it this weekend.

My first stop, on Saturday, was the funeral of the Catholic Archbishop of Bolgatanga and Navrongo who died suddenly at the end of December. Olke and I decided to pop have a look to see what was happening. We found our way to what I think of as the Catholic area of town – it boasts the Catholic Social Centre, a fully built Catholic church, a half built Catholic church and several St Charles Primary schools – which I have finally established is just the one school spread through several buildings (finding the correct building when visiting the school, however, is another question entirely.)

I have got to say that the funeral was one of the most impressively organised events I have come across in Bolga. There were policemen around, a First Aid stand, food vendors and an array of archbishop memorabilia including programmes, stickers and rosaries.

We made our way through the crowds to get a position at the back of the service – which was being held in the large, half built church which seemed quite like a stadium. In the centre, was a white coffin with a gold cross on top and arrangements of flowers and ribbon. The Archbishop of Wa gave a speech (I think he was the Archbishop of Wa) and there were many prayers and bible readings. People were beautifully dressed – some in Catholic school uniforms, some in black and many in white and black outfits, which I believe is one of the traditional funeral colours. Also were many people in dresses or outfits with Catholic churches or popes on them. We also saw one man wearing a pink t-shirt boasting quite a lot of gold tinsel – and his sidekick wearing a baby-pink sash – a little unusual.

On Sunday, I went with a Ghanaian friend to her church service – not something I plan to repeat in the near future, but certainly an interesting experience. I was to meet my friend at 8.30 and we left around 9.15, arriving at the church at 9.30. We were a little late – the service had started at 8 – but that didn’t matter as they were still in the middle of their VERY LOUD singing, which lasted another 20mins after we arrived. The pastor then got up and performed his sermon lasting well over an hour. Finally, people came to the front for healing prayers, and there were two collections – one straight after the other, and you were expected to contribute to both.

The church is by far the biggest and most impressive building in the whole Upper East Region and would fit in well in any American city. The powerpoint would put many churches in the UK to shame, and the sound system worked far too well! I do wonder if the money spent on building this church would be better spent on things such desks or chairs for children in the very deprived primary schools just a stone’s throw away.

No comments:

Post a Comment