Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Better late than never!

I've been meaning to start this for months, but it was not a priority in the run up to going away, what with packing, parties, drinks, dinners, coffees etc... so here I am, finally starting my blog!

I moved into my house on Saturday, having previously stayed at another house for a week. It is great to unpack things into my bedroom and start to get things arranged. What is not so great, is waiting for workmen to arrive! The carpenter has been incredibly efficient, but the same can not be said of the plumber, who I have been waiting for since yesterday morning. Such is life in Africa!

I went to visit my second lot of kindergartens today, and came away feeling encouraged but also realising how much work there is here, and that if I make just a small impact on the way some teachers work, I will have done my job. I met a wonderful teacher in a tiny kindergarten this morning. They were as low on resources as anywhere else, but the teacher was having a great time with the children, showing them simple picture of fruit and talking about the letters the fruits began with. The children sang a variety of songs, and seemed to understand what the songs meant - simple, age appropriate things like counting to 5 etc. There was lots of clapping and laughter coming from that classroom.

We're having a regional volunteer meeting this weekend. I think there are about 15 of us, around half of whom live in Bolga which is great.

Going to attempt to post this and see if it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment